Again, there are a couple of rumors in the community that need to be controlled.
1) A
number of Directors on our Board of Education have overheard or been directly
approached about why we are ending our MS Outdoor Education program. We are all
puzzled about this since it has not been discussed at the board table. Several
board members are strong proponents of our 7th grade outdoor education
experience. Administrators are also very supportive of the valuable educational,
social, and emotional benefits to our students from this unique and affirming
experience. There are no plans to eliminate the program.
2) I
have been questioned about why the district will be imposing such extreme dress
code guidelines next year that the students will need to purchase whole new
wardrobes. The rumors in the community, I have been told, include forbidding
students to wear turtlenecks and V-neck tops. I can assure you that these are not
part of our new dress code. Principals are currently sharing the guidelines with
teachers who will share them with students. Next week I will send an AlertNow e-mail,
which includes the guidelines, and also post them here in my blog.
Dr. Van Noord