January 31, 2013
Dear Palmyra Board Members,
It has been more than four decades since
I graduated from college and took my first teaching position. Within the first
week, my position was changed from Title 1 reading support to a combination of
reading support and kindergarten. If I had read those ‘tea leaves,’ I might
have realized that I would spend my career with a series of unique, varied, and
simply wonderful career opportunities. I have worked in public, Christian, and
community college educational systems; been a teacher, specialist, consultant,
and administrator; and learned to navigate the education systems of federal
programs and departments of education in two states. After much soul searching
and family discussions, I have decided to retire from my position in Palmyra
effective June 30 and move on to the next phase of our lives.
It has been more than a decade since I
was hired in Palmyra, a town I had not even heard of two months before that. It
has been a wonderful experience for which I will always be grateful. When I was
interviewed for the curriculum position, I recall sharing that one of my goals
was to help develop teacher leaders. Our department and grade level chairs, as
well as reading specialists, hold positions of responsibility, respect, and
data mining leadership. We now have outstanding teachers in coach-facilitator
roles – first Elaine and Nan and now Abbie, KK, Kathy, and Rose. They provide a
unique, supportive, coaching role to teachers that has helped move us as a
district forward academically to where we deserved the Patriot News Headline
last fall - Palmyra: the only Mid-PA District to make AYP in all areas –
district, each building, each content area, and each demographic group. I am
proud of our academic achievement but also of our outstanding arts, sports,
service clubs, and other activities that make school enjoyable. This all
happens only when each district employee is focused on student learning and all
realize that we’re in this together.
When I interviewed for the Superintendent
position, I remember sharing that my goal was to enable those around me be the
best they can be and, in fact, to support them to be better than they thought
they could be. I cannot mention everyone’s name but I firmly believe we have
built a very strong leadership team and a strong district office staff.
I need to specifically mention the
strength of those in this room as well as Sue who so thoughtfully and
meticulously makes sure this all runs smoothly. Darcy and Lisa make my job
easy. I have been able to see first hand and know well the inner working of a
couple districts. I can assure you that the knowledge, work ethic, focus,
values, and consummate professionalism both of them bring to Palmyra are second
to none. I do not believe you will find people of a higher caliber. I have
truly been blessed to work with outstanding board members throughout my career.
Each of you is a unique individual, fully committed to your role as
representatives of our community in running this school district. You have
consistently worked through decisions whether they are mundane, exciting, or
controversial, always with a focus on what is best for our students and aligned
with our guiding principles.
I offer my most sincere thank-you to you
and this community for entrusting me to lead and guide this district and to
touch the future in a meaningful way through our amazing students. We have
earned Palmyra Pride.
Respectfully,
Dr. Collene Van Noord