Thursday, November 8, 2012

Community Pep Rally: Coach Lyons


Guest Writer: Coach Cynthia Lyons, Community Fall Pep Rally Speech
Good evening! 

First let me say thank you to the Mr. Weidler and the Cougar Club for asking me to speak. I am honored to be here tonight. My name is Cynthia Lyons and I am not only the high school swimming coach but the Palmyra aquatic club coach as well. My husband Stephen and I have two children in the district, Peyten who is a sophomore and Stephen who is in Mr. Brinser's 5th grade class at Forge. I have to be honest with you; I tried to hide this from my kids knowing they would be embarrassed that I was speaking. Peyten found out at the hockey play day last weekend and she proceeded to tell most of the hockey team she was horrified and embarrassed. Their words of wisdom for tonight, Mrs. Lyons, please keep it short, so I will do my best.

I don't know about you all but I spent 2 weeks this summer sitting in front of the TV watching the summer Olympics. I watched Lebanon County’s own Jamie Gray win a gold medal in the 50 meter 3 position rifle. I watched Michael Phelps become the most decorated Olympian in history. I watched a woman; decorated in full religious garb, compete as the first woman from her country to participate in the Olympics. I watched a double amputee, a man with no legs; compete against runners with 2 natural legs in individual and relay events. Some of these people won gold medals; silver medals, even bronze medals, but some won no medals at all. But, in my book, all of them were champions. How honored I feel tonight to be able to speak to you about what it means to be a champion.

How blessed Palmyra is to have just as many champions here as I watched this summer. Palmyra has had baseball, field hockey, and soccer state champion teams. We have had district winning teams and district individual winners. We have league champions and, of course, we have many game winners throughout each season. And, as you should know, we are the 2 years running Lebanon Daily News most winning school district in Lebanon County.

All of which sounds great, but are all of them champions? I argue yes. Do you have to be an athlete to be a champion? Definitely not!

Champions are awesome in the classroom. Make sure you study hard. Go see your teachers. If you have questions, don't wait until the night before your exam to get help. You have to make sure that you are prepared for a quiz, even if you don't think you will have one. Athletes, band members, Envirothon members, or CTC students, without being a champion in the classroom, you'll never be able to perform at a higher level.

Champions realize there is a commitment to being a great. You have to be ready to make all of the necessary sacrifices that it takes to become a champion. Show your true colors and work hard. Coaches love hard workers, not excuses. Even when its hard, keep going even when others want to throw in the towel, don't. If you train hard and prepare well then you will perform at your peak. Even after a tough game, won or lost, be the first person at practice the next day! As the great Coach K once said, champions are made not born.

Champions are creative. You must think outside the box. You can't be carbon copy of someone else; you must be your own person. Come up with your own ideas and share them with others, be original. Learn from the best but modify what you learn to fit your own needs. Be unique. Champions want to learn from the best and help those who aren't. You are leaders, not followers.

Champions accept nothing less than excellence. Excellence does not mean winning all of the time. It means putting forth the best effort you can at all times. A champion always works on getting better. It means that when you don't win, its not the loss that counts as much as the reaction to it. Even in defeat, learn more from a loss than you do from a win. Use the loss as a lesson. Use adversity as an opportunity to get better. Be tough, and be great. Unfortunately, in today’s society, we stress winning so much and then when our kids don't win, they don't know how to lose. I used to watch the way John McEnroe would act during his matches. Winning or losing he would yell at the umpires, scream at his opponents, and throw his racquets. That is never the way to act! Champions win well and lose better.

Champions never quit. Far too many games have been lost because the team gave up way too early. This summer, the US women’s soccer team was deadlocked 3-3 in overtime in a game against Canada. If they win, they play for the gold. Just seconds before the referee blew his whistle to send the game into penalty kicks Alex Morgan headed in the game-winning goal. As most of us know, the US team went on to beat the world champion Japanese to take the gold. Why did they win? Because they never gave up, champions don't quit.

A champion is someone who cares about those around them. You are prepared for everything on the field, now be prepared for off of the field as well. Students, don't forget to thank your family and supporters. For years they have been driving you back and forth to practices, they have picked up everything you forgot to bring, they washed your uniforms, they have supported all of your efforts. They have sat in the warm sun and the cold snow just to watch you be a good team member. Take nothing for granted; thank them more often!

Champions are kind; help others and are good role models. Champions give back to their community. You must know that helping others makes you a better person. Know that you are always being watched, and you should act accordingly. As student athletes or students participating in other events, you have to know that you are role models to so many young children. To the parents or spectators, you are role models, too. Not only to your children, but so many others as well. You have to know that your reactions are always being heard and seen. As a coach and a referee I know for a fact that we don't always make decisions that you like. However, it is never our goal to hurt anyone! Referees are put on the field to make on the fly decisions that help to keep the games fair.  So many of us don't act like champions when we disagree with the coaches or the referees. Next time, remember that there are always others around watching our behavior. Act like champions, be nice, be thankful. 

Remember to pay it forward! You have to realize how important it is to help the next group to come through Palmyra! You have to know how much what you do affects others! So tonight we are going to do just that, pay it forward.

Recently I was inspired by a story of a young man from KY, Aaron Collins, who I consider to be a true champion and who suddenly passed away of July 7th. Aaron paid it forward. Aaron's family found a letter on his computer that told them what to do with his possessions. And, then he wrote, "Third, leave an awesome tip. I don't mean 25%, I mean $500 on a pizza.” So they did just that; they left an unexpectant waitress a $500 tip. This was a random act of paying it forward. They taped it and put it on you tube, and as a result $50,000 has been sent to Aaron's family from people being touched by Aaron's story. Aaron's brother Seth said this is not about the money it's about random acts of kindness, unexpected kindness from a stranger. This is what champions do.

So, I have tweaked Aaron's wish just a bit. I contacted Aaron's family about this and they were thrilled, so I've given the captains a task which they have been working on for the last 10 minutes. These students were chosen by their teammates and coaches to be leaders to leave a footprint. They were given an envelope full of cash and the opportunity to keep it and split amongst themselves or pay it forward. If they chose to pay it forward they had to pick a charity to donate it to. So we are going to find out what their decision is now. Are you keeping the money? I think that deserves a round of applause. If you chose to, you will also have the chance to donate to the captains’ charity. As you leave tonight, you will see containers by the gates, and you can drop your donations there. 

So in closing, thank you for coming tonight, and I challenge all of you go out, work hard to be champions! Good luck and Go Cougars!